Sunday, August 2, 2009

I wanted to get Kapri's ears pierced the moment she was three months. Cody thought otherwise. He read something that said you should wait until they're nine months.. something about infections. We compromised (we have learned how important this word is over the last three years) and agreed on six months. So.. when she was six months old (give or take a few days) Shonni and I took her and Addison to the mall to do the deed. I had to work up the courage to go through with it. It was hard going from being her protector, to putting her through the worst pain in her life, next to shots. I would get teary-eyed just thinking about it. So we got to the mall.. only to find out that you have to have proof of their first shots. Can we say LAME!! I had no idea they would need such a thing. Needless to say, Kapri went home hole-less that day.

Well, today Deana and I were at the mall and we decided to try again. I guess at 8 months they no longer need proof of vaccinations. Wha-hoo!! Kapri was finally going to get her ears pierced!! The girl asked if I was her mother.. duh. I gave her my i.d. and she started filling out the paperwork. Then she muttered something along the lines of "Your i.d. is expired. It expired in June of 2009". She said this as if it was ten years ago. How dare you try to use an i.d. that expired a month ago!! Really? You can't pierce my baby's ears because my license is expired?

So.. we went to another ear piercing place. We're tricky like that. This place just gave me the paper to fill out on my own. It asked for my name, date and driver's license number. It did NOT ask when my license expired.. so why was it such a big deal to the other chick? Its not like the i.d. proves my relation to the kid anyway. Ridiculous I tell you.

After I filled out the paper and picked out the earrings (adorable white gold diamond studs), we ran to the candy shop to buy her a sucker.. I figured it would help distract her from the agonizing pain I was about to put her through. When we got back there was a another lady there with her little girl that was about four. She was also getting her ears pierced. The piercing girl asked if we would let her go first so she wouldn't see Kapri crying and change her mind about wanting them pierced. We didn't have anywhere to be, so sure, that'd be fine. By this time Kapri had fallen asleep in her stroller, which was going to make it that much harder for me to muster up the courage to go through with it.


The little girl was super excited to get her ears pierced.. that was until she sat in the chair and reality set in. After coaxing her for twenty minutes, to no avail, the mom decided to take her on a walk and calm her down. So then it was our turn.. let me just tell you my stomache was doing flips. I could not believe what I was about to do.. I was feeling so guilty. So Kapri and I sat down in the chair and I gave her the sucker. Man was she in heaven!! She would probably get her ears pierced every day if it meant she could have a delicious sucker. The girl marked her ears (I made her mark and erase them several times until I thought they were in just the right spot, cause there was NO way I was going to make my precious baby do this more than once) and prepared to do the first ear.

BAM!! Kapri flinched a little, but continued eating her sucker. What? No blood-curdling scream? She fussed a little, but was more interested in the sticky sucker in her hand than the hole in her ear. Then the girl prepared to do the second ear. You should've seen Kapri's face.. "Oh no you did not think you were going to do that to me again lady!!" She would not hold still, so then I had to hold her arms and head against me, which she did not like at all.

Finally the girl did the second ear. Kapri did not disappoint.. she let out the loudest, highest, pitchiest (is that a word) scream you have ever heard in your life!! It lasted about 3 seconds.. her eyes got a little teary, and then she continued sucking her sucker as if nothing had happened.



Right after Kapri was finished the little girl came back for round two. After she saw how tough Kapri was, and that she wasn't even crying, she decided it would be okay to try again. She got her ears pierced without a fight.. and she didn't even cry!! We gave her a round of applause!!

I have an announcement to make people.. "I have the toughest freaking kid in the world!!!" Not to mention, the cutest.


P.S. Sorry the pics aren't the greatest of quality.. this was a spur of the moment thing and I hadn't brought along my camera. Thank goodness for the camera on my phone! Thanks for taking the pictures Deana!!

No comments:

Post a Comment