Thursday, June 11, 2009

Relay for Life

On June 5th my family participated in "Relay for Life". If you've never heard of it, its a fundraiser for cancer research. You put together a team, raise money, and walk all night. It starts at 6 and someone on your team has to be walking the entire time until 10 the next morning. Taelor freakin' Jae was our Team Captain!!Here she is with her cute boyfriend Trevor.


Aww.. young love.

Unfortunately, I'm a big dummy and didn't have work off the next day so I only stayed until midnight. But... I walked 22ish laps.. all in the name of cancer research!! So I wasn't completely sleep deprived and I didn't get any blisters on my feet, but I get some credit right? Maybe I won't get the mansion on the beach in heaven, but surely there will be a small run-down shack waiting for me?

Cody and Kapri even walked a few laps.


We decided its a good idea to get the idea of "charity" work into the young chillin's minds early.






Man was it windy!!





And cold.. just ask Addison.


One team had Colonel Saunders as a mascot.. you could get a picture with him for only a dollar!! P.S. Shonni I still owe you a dollar.. or two.. or three. Okay maybe five, remember you bought me cookies too. Where did those cookies go anyway?


Mmm.. licorice.




Poor girls.. ending up with the two of us as their mothers. What a sad day it will be when they are embarassed by us. Until then, we will dress them in tu tu's and put their hair in curlers for our own selfish enjoyment.


See what I mean about the embarassing.. this is us practicing our seductive faces. What do you think Cody and Josh.. sexy or just ridiculous?

Scratch that.. I'm being ultra seductive and Shonni is just being silly. Sigh, how will she ever learn?

Shawn was sweet enough to make a fire..

We sat around it for a few short moments, warming our cold bottoms, before we were told to put it out.





I left shortly after the fire was put out. I wish I could say I couldn't sleep, tossing and turning thinking about everyone walking, freezing and not sleeping. But, I went right to sleep and didn't think about them again until morning.. I really am a horrible person. I think my shack in heaven just turned into a cardboard box.

Really though, it is a great experience. Its really peaceful walking at night, by yourself, with the track lit up by the candles. If you ever get a chance to do it, don't pass it up.

5 comments:

  1. hmm.. I wonder who your favorite sister is? Oh and thanks for throwing in a pitty pic of me...and just so everyone knows my boys were there too! You must not have had space to put them after adding all of Jalynns kids and Addison:( Okay so I'm joking! (they do say there is some truth in all joking)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA!! Hey Tawnya.. How was your saturday morning? Did you enjoys you turn walking with me at 8:00? oh.. WAIT! You didn't SHOW!! DITCHER!! YAY I am glad you posted though. I was waiting to post about it until you did so I could steal some of your pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Traci- I am pretty sure you weren't in pictures because you were busy walking the track while we played. -grins sheepishly- oops :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Traci. Traci, Traci, Traci. 3 things.. first, your boys were there for what, fifteen minutes? And I only saw them for two of them. Secondly.. your photo is not a pitty pic. I needed pictures of hair blowing to get across my point of how windy it was, your's just happened to make the cut. Thirdly.. you are gay. The end.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whatever makes you feel better Tawnya...They were there two hours dork! When we're across the country you will probably look back and wished you cared more:)

    ReplyDelete